Advanced FPGA Implementation
Course Hours: 30 hrs
Course Time: 11/1 /2017- 12/9/2017
Course Arrangement: Wed 6pm to 9pm, Sat 9am - 12pm for 5 weeks
Prerequisite: understanding of Digital logic design and Verilog coding
Job Opportunities: Companies use Emulation platform to verify digital logic design using FPGA. Lot of bugs get caught during Emulation and gets fixed before Silicon tape out potentially saving millions of dollars in cost savings. ASIC Emulation jobs are plenty in today's market. FPGA vendors like Xilinx, Altera are hiring FPGA professionals.
To introduce students to advanced design methodologies and practical design approaches for high-performance FPGA applications. Students will design and implement a complete sophisticated digital system application on an FPGA, simulating and verifying the design with test benches, and synthesizing and implementing these designs with FPGA. Students will also learn sophisticated optimization techniques for memories, FIFOs, finite state machines, and various optimizations techniques to drive performance.
This course covers design and implementation of advanced digital systems using field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs). The emphasis is on various design approaches and translating it to high-level models using a hardware description language (Verilog). The course will focus on FPGA architecture, design methodologies, best design practices optimization techniques for performance (frequency, latency, area, power, etc).
- System-level architecture design for FPGAs. Latest FPGA family of devices and feature sets, Verilog HDL programming overview.
- Sequential/combinational logic implementation, Synthesizable Verilog, synchronous and asynchronous design, finite state machines, and memory.
- LUT, MUX, BRAM, FIFO Implementation and how to write test benches to verify these functional blocks.
- Latest FPGA DSP Architecture, MMCM for clock synthesis, and FIR filter implementation.
- Low power design techniques using clock gating, Data gating, power gating, and through multi-VDD supply.
- Design complex Logic module, Synthesize, optimize, simulate, and analyze performance from digital system application point of view.
- Learn how to constrain your design, perform timing analysis, analyze critical path, and Use Tcl script files to create a project and implement the design.
- Implement a real time project using latest FPGA tool (Vivado) and verify using Real FPGA Hardware Board. This basically uses complete FPGA design and Implementation flow from conceptual to Implementation.
- Students will be able to apply digital logic design skills to implement complex digital circuits. Graduates will have Hands on experience with FPGA architecture, design flow and implementation process.
- Graduates will be able to use Logic design approaches, Coding style, applying constraints to design to meet design target.
- Students will be able to execute real time projects, download FPGA image to real hardware and verify functionality of design successfully.
Experiences in the Field